In Case You Missed It - Feb. 26
Stay-up-to-date with what's going on in the NHL, MLB, and Women's Hockey for the week ending February 26, 2023.
National Hockey League (NHL) News
- Sidney Crosby (Frameworth Exclusive) recorded his 13th career 70-point season (26-45—71 in 59 GP). The Penguins captain surpassed Alex Ovechkin (12x) for the most 70-point campaigns among active skaters as well as Mario Lemieux (12x) for the most in franchise history. Watch below.
70 points for Sidney Crosby!— Pittsburgh Penguins (@penguins) February 27, 2023
Crosby becomes the first active player, and 14th player in NHL history to record 13 or more 70-point campaigns. pic.twitter.com/ioA1tNr4Cq
Nathan MacKinnon (Frameworth Exclusive) reached the 70-point mark for the fifth time in his career – only five players have recorded more with the franchise: Joe Sakic (14), Peter Stastny (9), Michel Goulet (8), Anton Stastny (6) and Peter Forsberg (6). MacKinnon became the seventh player in franchise history to record at least eight 20-goal seasons.
Mitch Marner (Frameworth Exclusive) recorded his fourth career 50-assist season – the third most in Maple Leafs history behind Darryl Sittler (6x) and Borje Salming (5x).
Evgeni Malkin (22-38—60 in 58 GP) reached the 60-point mark in a season for the 12th time in his career, tied with Mario Lemieux for the second most in Penguins history.
Leon Draisaitl hit the 700-point mark in his 614th career game, the fifth fastest among active players behind Connor McDavid (488 GP), Sidney Crosby (497 GP), Alex Ovechkin (579 GP) and Evgeni Malkin (580 GP).
Andrei Vasilevskiy recorded his 30th career shutout. Since making his debut in 2014-15, the only goalies with more are Marc-Andre Fleury (45) and Connor Hellebuyck (31).
David Pastrnak became the fifth player in Bruins history to register at least three 40-goal seasons with the club, following Phil Esposito (7x), Rick Middleton (5x), Cam Neely (4x) and Ken Hodge (3x). He also became the first Bruins skater to record consecutive 40-goal seasons since Neely more than 30 years ago.
Dougie Hamilton became the first Devils defenseman with 40 assists in a season since Brian Rafalski (47 in 2006-07).
Major League Baseball (MLB) News
- The Toronto Blue Jays have hired formed Astros General Manager James Click as Vice President of Baseball Strategy (Feb. 27, 2023).
- Alek Manoah (Frameworth Exclusive) has taken a renewal from the Toronto Blue Jays for the second straight year, once again turning down a raise based on the club's pre-set scale to make a point about fair value for pre-arbitration players (Source: Sportsnet.com).
Alek Manoah is being renewed by the Blue Jays, as @JonHeyman reported. He'll earn $745,650 in 2023, according to an industry source. Minimum this year is $720K. He made $706,200 last year, when he also took a renewal rather than accepting the club's scale-based raise. https://t.co/Ulq4RAny7G— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) February 24, 2023
Women's Hockey News
|#1||8-0 CAD vs FIN|
|#2||4-2 CAD vs SWE|
|#3||3-1 CAD vs US|
|#4||3-2 CAD vs FIN|
|#5||10-0 CAD vs SWE|
- Marie-Philip Poulin became the 5th player in Canada's National Women's Team history to record 200 career points, joining Hayley Wickenheiser, Jayna Hefford, Caroline Ouellette and Danielle Goyette. Poulin just needs three more goals to become the fourth player to score 100 times.
- Poulin was also honoured for winning the Northern Star Award (Canadian Athlete of the Year) and Bobbie Rosenfeld Award (The Canadian Press female Athlete of the Year).
Marie-Philip Poulin joins the 200 club! 🇨🇦 pic.twitter.com/1j7XbiLkCB— TSN (@TSN_Sports) February 21, 2023
|#1||4-3 US (SO)|
|#5||3-2 CAN (OT)|
Browse Frameworth's autographed and officially licensed jersey collection.